Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week One: Reflections on Educational Technology




This week's module has certainly been an eye-opener for me. I have to admit - I was comfortable with what I knew about technology. Having read articles and textbooks and having the privilege of reading discussions by other teachers has lead me to the conclusion that I really do not know squat. I didn't even really know what technology or technological literacy is.

What have I learned this week? I'm afraid to say much because there is still much to know. I do know that technology is pervasive. I am more aware of the vast expanse of technology in my life - right down to that quilted toilet paper, which I would have never dreamed could fit under the category of such a sophisticated concept as technology. Take away the technology of today and you would have...nothing.

What will I bring into the classroom with me? Once I move to the classroom again, I am sure that I will bring a new awareness of what technology and technological literacy is and I will stress its importance and pervasiveness. I will communicate that to my students. I will most certainly be looking for new ways to implement technology into my classroom as it is obviously fundamental to the education of our children in the 21st century.

I believe it would be very important as an introduction to any new technology to bring awareness to my students as I have been made aware. It is quite an astounding and scary thought - the role that technology plays in our lives. While I think about a very narrow portion of it while standing in line at a store and computer goes down, I have hardly given it much thought at all in the context of what I have learned this week. Certainly involving my students in the use of more technology would be great. The current challenge lies within budget and funding. Having access to few computers and on a limited basis will certainly curtail any large-scale plan for technology education (with computer use being the first thought). As I think about this, though... with a projector and one computer it may be possible to pull-off some class research or an electronic field trip. Technology can take my students to places they may never be able to see in their lifetime. Later, monkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment