Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week Three: Desktop Publishing and Word Processing

I have certainly taken for granted that I know all I need to know about the basic aspects of technology required for teachers. Even with word processing, I am learning that there are many uses that I had never thought about. Desktop publishing is a concept that I have not adequately utilized in the classroom. While I have learned this week that word processing is progressing to the point of being as creative a tool as desktop publishing, there are still a few bells and whistles that desktop publishing possesses that word processing does not. Both of these programs are fantastic for use with special education students. I have learned valuable uses for these programs with exceptional children.

Word processing is quite a handy tool when working with exceptional children. Its many features such as spell-check and thesaurus allow for a level of accomplishment that may be difficult with handwritten assignments. Children with difficulties concerning fine-motor skills can find working with a word processor particularly rewarding.

Desktop publishing is a wonderful avenue for students to create brochures, journals, posters, books, and articles. Students could work collaboratively on a class newspaper or magazine. The biggest advantage of desktop publishing is that one can produce very professional-looking material, which could certainly create a great degree of excitement about an assignment.

As a teacher, the possibilities with using word processing and desktop publishing are endless. At the most basic, parent-teacher communication can be much more interesting. People are busy, in general, and I have found that it often takes a little creativity to get the attention of some parents. It is a must that forms of written communication between school and home be attention-getting. What I have learned this week will be very helpful with my future publishing endeavors. Here is an example of a parent newsletter from my first year of teaching. It could certainly use some improvements. It is definitely not visually appealing and would most likely not catch anyone's eye. That it lacks color is the most obvious error.
























Here is the after version of my newsletter:

Maybe not as fancy as it could be, but a definite improvement nevertheless. At least most of the yawn factor was eliminated by adding color and shapes. Clip art makes it easy to identify the context. Although the images posted her are a bit blurry, it emphasizes that the more colorful letter tends to "jump out". Unfortunately, the program I used is a bit outdated. Just imagine what one could do with a more sophisticated program! The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment